Deadline to apply is August 10, 2018.
The Calgary Public Library invites applications for the paid position of Artist in Residence: Children’s Artist/Illustrator at New Central Library (NCL) in downtown Calgary for the Fall of 2018.
This residency recognizes the contribution of children’s artists to literature and to Calgary’s culture and seeks to introduce Library patrons, especially children and educators, to artists and art forms they may not otherwise experience while providing opportunities to meet artists, observe the artistic process and participate in artmaking. The residency includes a commission for the annual Library Goes to Kindergarten Library Card illustration.
The Artist in Residence honorarium is $50 per hour to a maximum of 100 hours per residency. This amount includes offsite preparation time and onsite program delivery time, and any other project expenses incurred by the applicant, except for materials specific to community engagement events.
In addition to the residency, the artist awarded the contract will be asked to design the annual Library Goes to Kindergarten card and promotional item, during their residency (value of $3,000).
The Library seeks emerging or mid-career children’s artists/illustrators with an art practice in any medium and an affinity for people. This residency program is based in a glass-walled studio in a public space, which means, while the artist’s practice and privacy are to be respected whether in the studio or in the public space of the library, we do expect the artist to be comfortable and open to engaging with patrons. The artist is expected to display their work and process, as a way of animating the studio for visitors to look in and see when the artist is not present. Experience working with communities, large groups and/or children and youth is an asset.
Please see attached PDF for more details on remuneration and how to apply. Deadline to apply is August 10, 2018.
Artists may not apply as an individual and be part of an organization or collective applying in the same competition.
If the applicant is an individual artist, the following eligibility criteria apply:
- Must not be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program.
- Must be 18 years of age or older..
- Self-identify as a children’s artist and/or illustrator and is recognized as such by artists/illustrators working in the same artistic tradition.
- Actively practices his or her art.
If the applicant is an organization or a collective, the following eligibility criteria apply:
- A collective is defined as two or more artists working together under a group name, either on a single project (ad hoc) or on an ongoing basis. For collectives of two artists, both must not be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program and be 18 years of age or older. For collectives of more than two artists, the majority of members must not be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program and 18 years of age or older.
Please submit applications to:
Service Design: Artist in Residence Program
Central Library, 616 Macleod Trail SE
Calgary, AB T2G 2M2
Or email to email@example.com.