Program Specialist – Pottery, Child/Youth Job Number: 43062
The City Arts Centre is currently looking for experienced Pottery Instructors to lead our popular child/ youth classes and school programs! We offer daytime, evening, and weekend courses and workshops at City Arts Centre and its outreach facilities. Plan and facilitate programs and camps full of fun and creativity with clay.
- Teaching and demonstrating pottery skills according to established curriculum
- Plan and facilitate workshops, half day camps and 8 week registered courses
- Organizing and presenting technical knowledge to child/youth learners
- Communicating and coaching as to appropriate procedures and keeping to studio timelines
- Answering student questions and using effective communication skills
- Ensuring students follow studio procedures and stay on task/timeline
- Maintaining studio safety and cleanliness as directed
- Actively engage in the safety, well-being and development of child/youth
- Encourage and facilitate social, physical and skill development in a positive manner
- Maintain the highest level of health and safety standards at City Arts Centre and its outreach facilities
- Communicate regularly with coordinators and facility staff
- Attend seasonal in-services, and other training as necessary
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Completion of Grade 12
- Minimum 2 years of post-secondary education from a recognized institution in education or arts or a proven skill set in the medium of clay would be an asset
- Pottery courses from formal and informal learning institutions and instructors
- Teaching/facilitating experience related to pottery
- Technical knowledge and experience to appropriately demonstrate throwing, handbuilding and glazing to students. Kiln firing an asset
- Strong communication and coaching skills; patience for beginner students
- Ability to assess skill level of students and adapt lessons accordingly
- Independent and creative problem-solving skills related to technical issues and meeting student needs
- Ability to have an organized plan to achieve student outcomes
- Valid First Aid and CPR Level C is a requirement of this position
- Hire is dependent upon a Police Information Check including Vulnerable Sector check satisfactory to the City of Edmonton
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results in the context of a respectful, inclusive and service-minded style
- Embrace the Cultural Commitments of Safe, Helpful, Accountable, Integrated and Excellent, and foster an environment that encourages others to do the same
- Applicants may be tested
The City of Edmonton is committed to inclusive, respectful and equitable workplaces that represent the communities we serve. We continuously improve our systems, policies and practices to remove barriers and ensure our employees, in all their diversity, can succeed. We value applicants with a diverse range of skills, experiences and competencies, and encourage you to apply. To learn more, see the Art of Inclusion: Our Diversity and Inclusion Framework here: https://bit.ly/3hd2d95.
The City of Edmonton strives to provide reasonable access and accommodations throughout the application and selection process. If you would like to request an accommodation at any stage of the process, please contact Employment@edmonton.ca.
COVID-19 Notice: The City of Edmonton has implemented a COVID 19-Vaccination Policy. Employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination. Employees who cannot be fully vaccinated on the basis of a protected legal ground (e.g. medical, religious) may request an exemption. Please note that this policy applies to all employees, including new hires, and volunteers. If your application is successful, you will be asked to provide proof of vaccination or request an exemption. ‘
For more information, please refer to our COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (bit.ly/3lKwb6j) and COVID-19 Vaccination Procedure (bit.ly/39BICMt).
Up to 3 temporary part-time, ongoing positions
Hours of Work: Up to 30 hours per week. Daytime, after-school, evening and weekends is required.
The weekly hours of work for this position are currently under review and may change at a future time. Any changes will be made in accordance with the City of Edmonton/Civic Service Union 52 collective agreement and the incumbent will be notified in advance.
Salary: $22.500 – $33.00(Hourly)
Talent Acquisition Consultant: JP/BV
Classification Title: PS – Fine Arts Programs
Posting Date: Feb 25, 2022
Closing Date: Mar 11, 2022 11:59:00 PM (MST)
Number of Openings (up to): 3 – Temporary Part-time
Union: CSU 52
Department: Community and Recreation Facilities
Work Location(s): Various Locations (City Wide)
Visit www.edmonton.ca/careers for information on how to apply.
Download this posting (pdf)