In order to be considered for the Visiting Artist program, interested artists must submit the following:
*9 jpegs (each image file must be no larger than 1mb)
*1 PDF file that includes:
- Artist CV (3 pg max)
- 250 word/1 page Project Proposal
- 1 or 2 Workshop Proposal/Descriptions (preferably beginner friendly workshops)
- Image List (include image title, size, year, and medium)
Deadline for submissions is October 15th, 2018.
Conditions of the residency
- The one-month residency must be completed during the period of April 2019 to March 2020.
- Two prints from each edition printed during the residency must be provided to St. Michael’s Printshop.
- One of these prints will be retained in the Printshop’s Archives, the other is used for fundraising purposes.
- During the residency, the artist will be asked to give a workshop for the membership of the Printshop.
Criteria used by juries
The Printshop juries are instructed to look for emerging as well as experienced artists. While basic technical help is available from staff, artists must show competency in their chosen medium to be considered. Workshop proposals are very important, but should not be too elaborate or take more than two evenings or one day from the residency.
While residencies in other arts facilities often ask the artist to demonstrate a geographic-based justification for their residencies, proposals for residencies at St. Michael’s Printshop do not need to be linked to Newfoundland, Labrador or St. John’s. We are more interested in that the artists have a clear plan that they can accomplish in one month.
- $1,000 Residency Fee for artists who reside in St. John’s, NL and surrounding area
- $1,500 Residency Fee for artists who reside outside St. John’s, NL and surrounding area
- 24-hour access to all facilities at the Printshop
St. Michael’s provides basic chemicals and solvents, newsprint, rags and black and white inks only. We do not provide coloured inks or personal consumables (sandpaper etc.). Please contact us for a full inventory of what is provided. A basic selection of papers, wiping fabrics and litho drawing materials are available for purchase at the printshop.
*International artists should note that materials may be considerably more expensive here, so it is recommended that materials be brought with you. These may include paper, and coloured printing inks. Because of our isolated location, ordering materials may take up to several weeks.
For more information, visit the St. Michael’s Printshop Website.