Job Number: 46566
Please indicate on your cover letter which position you prefer.
Do you consider yourself an expert in Visual Arts?
Do you have a passion for teaching and sharing your skills with others?
The City Arts Centre has a reputation of providing quality art experiences that are accessible and affordable. Our Visual Arts instructors instruct a variety of group programs at City Arts Centre and at various Community Recreation Centres in the city. Share your expert knowledge and passion for Metalsmithing with the citizens of Edmonton! As an instructor, you must be confident and competent in your field and enjoy teaching others. You will be required to plan, prepare, and teach lessons to a variety of skill levels for weekly classes, 1 day workshops, and week long programs. This opportunity is mainly for child/youth instruction with a possibility of some adult program in Metalsmithing
With a focus on the City of Edmonton’s Cultural Commitments to Safe, Helpful, Accountable, Integrated and Excellent, you will be leading and contributing as follows:
- Develop and implement lesson plans that are age and skill level appropriate
- Assess skill levels of students and adapt lesson plans accordingly.
- Ability to problem solve and assess the needs of participants
- Good communication and ability to work independently
- Instruct on all technical aspects of Metalsmithing
- Coach participants on proper visual arts techniques
- Implement safety and clean-up procedures established for the facility in keeping with OH&S standards
- Attend training sessions as required
- Create an inspiring learning environment that is engaging, supportive and inclusive
- Creative exploration of projects and activities to improve visual arts skills
- Share knowledge and passion for visual arts while mentoring children and youth or Adult in a supportive setting
- Good classroom management and ability to work with children
- Minimum 18 years of age is required
- Minimum 1 year of post-secondary education from a recognized institution in a field related to the arts. Enrolment in or completion of a visual arts program/training would be considered an asset
- Minimum of 1 year full-time experience (or the equivalent in cumulative hours) delivering Visual Arts programs
- Proven skills in Metalsmithing
- Demonstrate knowledge of technical aspects in Metalsmithing
- Experience instructing a wide range of skill levels and diverse groups of participants (Children/Youth ages 1-17 or Adults ages 18+)
- Previous teaching experience in a classroom setting or equivalent
- Ability to be creative, flexible and a problem solver
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally in a classroom setting with a variety of participants
- Ability to work alone and independently
- Hire is dependent upon a Police Information Check including Vulnerable Sector check satisfactory to the City of Edmonton
- Possession of Intermediate First Aid and CPR Level C certificate is a requirement
- Demonstrate alignment with the Cultural Commitments of Safe, Helpful, Accountable, Integrated and Excellent, fostering an environment for others to do the same. For more information on the City’s Cultural Commitments, please visit edmonton.ca/our-culture
Demonstrate the foundational competencies, key behaviours and attributes of the City’s six leadership competencies: Courage, Inclusivity, Values-Based Influencer, Collaborative Networker, Systems Thinker and Creative Innovator. For more information on the City’s leadership competencies, please visit edmonton.ca/our-culture
The City of Edmonton is committed to inclusive, respectful and equitable workplaces that represent the communities we serve. We continuously improve our systems, policies and practices to remove barriers and ensure our employees, in all their diversity, can succeed. We value applicants with a diverse range of skills, experiences and competencies, and encourage you to apply. To learn more, see the Art of Inclusion: Our Diversity and Inclusion Framework here: https://bit.ly/3hd2d95.
The City of Edmonton strives to provide reasonable access and accommodations throughout the application and selection process. If you would like to request an accommodation at any stage of the process, please contact Employment@edmonton.ca.
Up to 2 temporary part-time, ongoing position
Hours of Work: Up to 12 hours per week. Evening and weekend work is required
The weekly hours of work for this position are currently under review and may change at a future time. Any changes will be made in accordance with the City of Edmonton/Civic Service Union 52 collective agreement and the incumbent will be notified in advance.
Salary: $22.500 – $33.00(Hourly)
Talent Acquisition Consultant: JP/SK
Classification Title: PS – Fine Arts Programs
May 2, 2023 11:59:00 PM (MDT)